Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Dreaming of Summer

From: Michael J Freeman <mfreeman451 () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 18:38:55 -0800 (PST)

All you really need to do is take over the Akamai
network. They host most of the stuff for symantec,
like you get your virus definition updates from an
Akamai server, and do services for microsoft (mostly
DNS, but they may have the windowsupdate "akamaized"
where you get your updates from an Akamai server
rather than a M$ site). They also do DNS for lots of
other huge sites, whitehouse.gov, fbi.gov, msnbc,
yahoo, etc. Not to mention the fact that if you gained
control of one of a servers in the NOC you could
easily gain control over the entire network of over
15,000 servers and launch one of the most massive
distributed DoS attacks in the world, effectively
crippling the Internet. Remember the Fluffi Bunni???

--- "Brass, Phil (ISS Atlanta)" <PBrass () iss net>
wrote:
You're kidding, right?  The chance to r00t *every*
debian box in the
world (apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get
install rootkit) isn't
worth losing a single local root sploit?  The only
better targets are
the windows ones like Symantec's LiveUpdate and, of
course,
windowsupdate.microsoft.com...

Phil