Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Word documents that "phone" home

From: Microsoft Security Response Center <secure () MICROSOFT COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 07:27:11 -0700

Hi Kris -

Thanks for your note.  I think we may be in violent *agreement*
here.<g>

We think it's a great idea to talk about this issue, and we do want
to make sure that our customers understand the pros and cons of
web-enabled applications.  Specifically, we are glad to participate
in a dialogue about cookies, the risk they pose, and how to control
them.  Our objection to the report lies principally in its tone.
 - It suggests that this is a purely Microsoft issue, when in fact it
applies to all web-enabled applications.  There are thousands of
them, and they run on all operating systems.
 - It spins dire scenarios of people being "tracked", without
acknowledging just how difficult it would be to actually correlate
information like an IP address to a person's identity.
 - It pays scant attention to the fact that customers already have
the tool to control cookies in their hands, namely, IE.  Customers
who have used the Security Zones setting in IE to restrict how
cookies are handled are automatically protected against all cookies,
regardless of whether the web session was initiated by web surfing or
by a web-enabled application.

We do want our customers to be aware of this issue and to know what
steps they can take.  But we think it would have been much more
productive to have had a less-hyperbolic discussion about the issue
and what customers can do about it.  Hope that helps explain where we
were coming from with our posting.  Regards,

Scott