Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Word documents that "phone" home

From: Hal DeVore <haldevore () EARTHLING NET>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 16:23:32 -0500

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, "Don" == Don Halterman wrote:

  Don> 3.  I would expect that IE has distinct features to handle
  Don> cookies (though I've never used it); the web page points
  Don> this out.  However, despite MS's best efforts to make it
  Don> otherwise, there are other browsers such as Netscape and
  Don> Opera--I saw no mitigation notes for those.

This is an educated guess at the moment so take it FWIS.  Word
and other "internet enabled" applications built by Microsoft
are probably not using your browser exactly.  They are almost
certainly using the wininet.dll and the API to it.  And
wininet.dll is part of IE.  So effectively, they're using IE.

--Hal