Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IRIX 5.3 chost

From: nickless () MCS ANL GOV (Bill Nickless)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:47:52 -0500

I just installed patch 1096 on a 5.3 system here and I am still able to
get in through the chost security hole.  So I'm pretty sure the patch
doesn't plug the hole.

Interesting.  I tried again on another 5.3 system and still couldn't get
the exploit to work.

Did you follow these steps in the patch release notes before trying the
exploit again?

         5.  To start running the objectserver software installed
             by this patch, objectserver needs to be restarted.
             This can be done by giving the following commands:
             /etc/init.d/cadmin stop; /etc/init.d/cadmin clean;
             /etc/init.d/cadmin start
--
Bill Nickless            nickless () mcs anl gov           +1 630 252 7390