Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IRIX 5.3 chost

From: mkienenb () arsc edu (Mike Kienenberger)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 15:57:34 -0800

On Mon, 12 Aug 1996, Vern Hart wrote:
I just installed patch 1096 on a 5.3 system here and I am still able to
get in through the chost security hole.  So I'm pretty sure the patch
doesn't plug the hole.

How about patch 1324?

       This patch contains fixes for the following bugs in IRIX
       5.3.  Bug numbers from Silicon Graphics bug tracking system
       are included for reference.

          o The IRIX 5.3 permissions panel has a security hole that
            will allow non-privileged users to change the ownership
            and permissions on any file on the system.  This patch
            should be installed on all IRIX 5.3 systems to remove
            the security hole. (Bug #375613)

This is probably the patch that fixes the problem.
---
Mike Kienenberger    Arctic Region Supercomputing Center
Systems Analyst      (907) 474-6842
mkienenb () arsc edu    http://www.arsc.edu