Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Active Directory Domains

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 11:02:35 -0400

Quote: One might argue that the possibility of jail time because of HIPAA provisions or other laws might provide extra
incentive, but I haven't seen much of those kinds of penalties - yet

Here is well-known example of MGH (Mass General Hospital) case, which paid to feds around $1M after a loss of a memory
stick with a few hundred EPHI records. Monetary, even a small organization can sustain such DATA loss, but the cost of
conflicting with DHHS/CMS on that matter costs much more than a fine of $1M. There is an estimate that one case of data
loss in around $5M. And the most comes from legal part and various matters dealing with federal authorities. Amount of
data matters but as you see in MGH case, not too much. What matters is non-compliance. I would not discuss millions of
credit cards records losses (AFAIC last were Target, and eBay accounts' info as well) as DSS is commercial and not
about legal part, fines, etc. Compliance is also an issue but can be easy fixed by an external audit. Big guys can easy
deal with such cases. If US had a law and penalties for commercial data loss, we would see bullion-level fines.
Shortly: if feds are involved, all depends on Uncle Sam's will, and pretty innocent loss could cause a business loss.
Regards

Mikhail