Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Active Directory Domains

From: "Keith Kooyman" <kckooyman () tstc edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 16:27:17 -0500

I've seen this done before by well-intentioned admins.  The truth is, in my
opinion, that what looks good in theory is in reality not a good practice.
No real security gain is accomplished and there are numerous reasons to not
do it this way.

They would be much better off investing in layer 3 switches and a core
router and implementing a strong and secure VLAN architecture with ACL's.
As you say, you could also use the firewall to create an added layer of
protection between the HR VLAN and the rest of the network.  You could use
DLP to protect HR files.  The net result would be better security and
improved functionality.

Keith Kooyman
Network Security Instructor
254-867-3090

This E-mail may contain thoughts and opinions of Keith Kooyman and does not
represent official Texas State Technical College Waco policy.