Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Active Directory Domains

From: Chris Wessells <cwessells () metasource com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 14:02:31 +0000

There separate technologies mentioned.

1. Authentication
2. Network segmentation

Active directory is a hierarchy of objects you can "do" stuff with.  You can apply policies to affect client machines.
You can create groupings of objects to centralize configuration.  The relationships are hierarchical.  If the account
details contained in an OU (Folder) are wished to be kept private, then make a different OU parallel to the existing OU.

Then you can restrict the user's ability to search specific OUs: "Anyone in OU=Company, has a search base of
OU=Company."  They will never see the OU=HR.

HR
-User
-Computer
Company
-User
-Computer

With forethought and design, there isn't a reason to have the two servers in the forest for this scenario.
Additionally the firewall segmentation isn't necessary either.  Using NTFS file share permissions will keep users out
of sensitive data.  Now there are many variables and 100 different ways to solve any IT problem so by all means this is
not the only solution.  Good luck, AD is a powerful tool that can help control an environment.

Best Regards,
Chris Wessells

Chris Wessells | Sr. Network & Systems Engineer
MetaSource, LLC | 12894 Pony Express Road, Suite 700 | Draper, UT  84020-8334
office 801 984-6606 | mobile 385 202 3735 | cwessells () metasource com