Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Locate wifi client

From: Joe Szilagyi <jszilagyi () SonicWALL com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 10:17:01 -0700

I would just like to say that this is the sort of question which long ago led me to sign up for this list. A unique
issue that can't always be trivially Googled.

You could try to triangulate them with RF but that's tremendously difficult for the unskilled (I'm not sure myself on
the steps). One option is to probably toss a sniffer on them and start reading their traffic to try to ID the person.
See which IP address/MAC is doing the torrenting and then try to match up who it is based on their other usage.

Another option would be to simply lock out the offending MAC address from either all torrents, or ALL traffic. If you
have the option somehow, perhaps redirect all requests from the offending MAC to some static internal web page, saying,
"This computer has been blocked from all access to XYZ Networks for security violations. Please contact admins ()
yourcompany com as soon as possible." You can then either educate your user or they will quietly stop using that
computer with the offending MAC. If they start it up again on another machine, keep knocking down MACs on all forms of
connection. Sooner or later, the user will come to you or give it up.

Joe