Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Detect Network Sniffing

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 15:36:57 -0800

  Cisco switches have a feature called "SPAN" -- I forget what it's an
acronym for, but that's not important.  What matters is that the switch -- a
layer 2 device, so it needn't have a layer 3 IP address, or show up in tools
like traceroute -- can be told to forward all traffic in and/or out of a
chosen interface or VLAN to be duplicated and also forwarded to some other
port, with no visibility to anyone except the administrator of the switch.
  Basically, if your traffic goes over somebody else's wires, assume they
can see it.  If you can encrypt it, you probably should.

David Gillett