Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft BitLocker can be Cracked?

From: Archangel Amael <archangel.amael () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:07:23 +0200

The message is dated  Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:06 PM  Apparently someone
decided to clean out the queue.

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Riley, Steve <steriley () amazon com> wrote:
That article's a bit old (4 Dec 2009); take a look at the comments: they pretty much eviscerate the breathless
reportage. Passware's product doesn't crack any keys. It works only if you (1) are or can become admin and (2) dump
the computer's RAM contents to disk. Then you can search that disk image to find the keys, which were stored in the
computer's memory. If the computer is powered off before you can get an image dump, then there are no keys to find;
clear-text keys are never stored on disk. This is why you should always hibernate or power off if you're using
BitLocker, don't simply put the computer to sleep. There's a GPO to help you enforce this control, too.

I don't work for Microsoft anymore; however, I remain a fan of BitLocker. It does what it does very well, with no
noticeable performance impacts. The default setting of AES-128 plus Elephant diffuser will protect your data for a
very long time.