Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: People on Google Security blog don't understand cyber terrorism

From: Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:29:04 -0600

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 09:49:07AM +1000, Murda wrote:

The aims of the so called cyber terrorists may well be as illogical and
unreasonable as their real life counterparts but they will no doubt find
that their goals (ever shifting and nebulous as they are) will not be
facilitated by carrying out more and more attacks.
Why? Because terrorism never seems to actually work to deliver the goals
that the terrorists think that they want.
http://maxabrahms.com/pdfs/DC_250-1846.pdf
Max Abrahams has a great piece on reasons why.
Not strictly related to the terror being waged across the internets by these
irresponsible disclosure-driven fiendish fiends but still relevant in some
manner.

While Mr. Gillett (who also responded to you) made very good points, and
I agree with his statements, I feel it incumbent upon me to add one more
thing:

The term "terrorist" should not be applied to the case of Tavis Ormandy's
public disclosure of a vulnerability in software distributed by
Microsoft.  In fact, there is quite obviously no malicious intent
involved -- obviously, at least, to anyone willing to actually read about
what happened, and to think about it for more than the half second it
takes to come up with a completely overblown reaction like calling him a
"cyber terrorist" for doing what he felt was in the best interests of
software security and Microsoft's customers.

Even if you disagree with his conclusions, I don't see how one could
honestly read the available information about what happened and conclude
his actions could be described as malicious or having evil intent.

"Full disclosure" isn't an attack.  It's a philosophy of vulnerability
reporting intended to ensure the greatest security for all.  Whether it
is the most effective means of pursuing that end is not at the moment
statistically quantifiable, so we really don't know whether it works or
not, though at first blush the theory seems sound at least in principle.
By contrast, "responsible disclosure" as practiced and advocated by
Microsoft flies in the face of principles of information security that
can be traced back at least as far as Kerckhoffs' Law, formulated in the
1800s, and corroborated by more than a century of evidence since.