Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: People on Google Security blog don't understand cyber terrorism

From: Chad Perrin <perrin () apotheon com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:15:08 -0600

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:00:47PM -0400, greimer () fccc edu wrote:

      Was there some attempt to comunicate this vulnerability (whatever
it was) to the people responsible for the software and/or system? How'd
that work out? It there was such an effort, then it ain't terrorism.

For those who aren't aware:

There was such an attempt.  It didn't go well.

      It's true that there are many forms of terrorism that do not
involve bombs and the involuntary removal of craniums, but it seems to me
that reflexively labeling disclosure as terrorism ignores the whole long
and checkered history of vulnerabilities & the relative effectiveness of
'behind-the-scenes' vs 'sunshine' methods of getting things fixed.

I agree.  I've even agreed very, very publicly:

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=3925

I think the best way to handle the guy trolling with the word "terrorism"
on this list is to ignore him, though.  Let's not lend any credibility to
such ridiculous assertions by actually engaging the idiot in a debate.