Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: People on Google Security blog don't understand cyber terrorism

From: "Murda" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:49:07 +1000

The word terrorism seems to have been appropriated by so many people about
so many things. For instance, Max Keiser who is a financial analyst is
calling Goldman Sachs 'Financial Terrorists' because of the very real damage
some of their practices may have caused. It is definitely one of those words
that is bandied about for effect rather than for insight.
I doubt that people are 'terrorised' in quite the same manner about
'attacks' that take place via communication or power networks(the
internet/phone/grid) etc as they are by a bomb going off when you are trying
to get on a bus or a train. Normal operations are severely disrupted.
Especially if you are dead. However, if I wished to indulge in catastrophic
thinking then I could easily imagine a time and place whereby power to a
hospital is cut resulting in death/mayhem etc. Small risk but big impact.
These small risk/big impact things may happen more often than we calculate
for because we have very little in terms of methods for calculating
accurately for them.
The aims of the so called cyber terrorists may well be as illogical and
unreasonable as their real life counterparts but they will no doubt find
that their goals (ever shifting and nebulous as they are) will not be
facilitated by carrying out more and more attacks.
Why? Because terrorism never seems to actually work to deliver the goals
that the terrorists think that they want.
http://maxabrahms.com/pdfs/DC_250-1846.pdf
Max Abrahams has a great piece on reasons why.
Not strictly related to the terror being waged across the internets by these
irresponsible disclosure-driven fiendish fiends but still relevant in some
manner.

Now please don't get us started on Cyber 'Warriors'.