Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Best firewall applience

From: Daniel Radetic <drade () msv-sustavi hr>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:54:13 +0100

Hello there Paul,

In my opinion you could give soekris + pfsense a
try, the whole story shouldn't cost you more than 300$ and some time.

Ref.:
http://www.soekris.com
http://www.pfsense.com

Kind regards,
Daniel Radetic

On 01/14/2010 10:12 AM, Paul.Simons () thomsonreuters com wrote:
Hum... OK lots of suggestions - Thanks.

So if I go down the do-it-yourself path I would like to find the most
unobtrusive 'box' to build my own UTM system on.

I don't have a problem building one (old guy talking here 30+ years
experience) but it MUST BE - small, quiet, low power and reliable (Gbit
interfaces would be nice-to-have).

I don't think an 'old' PC with numerous NICs would fall into these
categories. Which begs the next question;

        What hardware would be suitable for my needs?

I don't mind spending to get the 'right' system so it could be anything
(old or new.

In answer to the various other questions posed...

I am using a Sofaware appliance (embedded Check Point) - nice because it
is al-in-one box - but as I said too expensive and their licensing
policy sucks (always has - but they are not going to change so I am).

I need a firewall at home because I run a WEB server, media server,
OS-X, XP, BSD, etc and I have two teenage boys trying to get to all
sorts of sites and download stuff I don't want them to ;-) so I would
like to restrict access by time (when they have done their homework or
at weekends or time to sleep) and sites (free surfing for some time -
only educational sites at others)

Anybody who has kids should be doing this sort of thing - suppliers are
starting to wake up to this but not many yet

Thanks
Paul

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Thomson Reuters.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

MSV SUSTAVI d.o.o
Tatjane Marinić 12
10430 Samobor
Croatia
Tel: ++385 1 3369 800
Fax: ++385 1 3369 818
http://www.msv-sustavi.hr

Napomena: Ova elektronička poruka i njeni prilozi mogu sadržavati povjerljive i/ili povlaštene informacije, a namijenjena je isključivo za upotrebu naznačenog primatelja. Ako ste ovu poruku primili greškom, molimo Vas da o tome bez odlaganja obavijestite pošiljatelja, da uništite izvornu poruku i njene priloge i bez odlaganja poruku i njene priloge izbrišete iz Vašeg sistema. Neovlaštena uporaba, distribucija, otkrivanje, umnožavanje ili izmjena ove poruke je zabranjena. Tvrtka MSV sustavi d.o.o. ne daje niti ne prihvaća pravno obvezujuće izjave putem elektroničkih poruka osim ukoliko drugačije nije izričito navedeno. Budući da komunikacija internetom nije zaštićena, tvrtka MSV Sustavi d.o.o. ne prihvaća odgovornost za sadržaj ove poruke, kao ni za eventualnu štetu nastalu zbog zaraženosti ove poruke virusom ili drugim štetnim programom, te zbog eventualnih tehničkih problema prilikom dostave ove poruke. Disclaimer: This e-mail message and any attachment may contain confidental and/or privileged information and is intended for use by the indicated addressee only. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original message and any attachment and delete this message and any attachment from your system. Unauthorized use, distribution, disclosure, reproduction, or alteration of this e-mail message is forbidden. The company MSV Sustavi d.o.o. neither makes nor accepts legally binding statements via e-mail unless otherwise stated. Considering that internet communication is not secured, the company MSV Sustavi d.o.o. is not responsible for the content of this message, for potential damage occured due to infection of this message with a virus or other malicious program, and for potential technical problems during delivery of this message.