Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: secure sharepoint 2010 design

From: "Boyd, Chad" <CBoyd () madden com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 22:02:42 +0000

When designing any web portal or outward facing system, it's always a good idea to segment your front ends from your
back ends.

In my experience, you should look in to:

With a basic SharePoint setup, you should have at minimum two servers.
- The Web Front End - This should be segmented from the network in a DMZ. It's also a good idea to put this behind your
outward facing proxy, like ISA. Make sure that your backend systems like your DC's, WSUS, and AV systems can
communicate with these correctly.

- The backend, or database services. We have a separate network segment for database servers and are able to finely
control which web front ends (and everything else for that matter) can access the database servers. I consider this a
second DMZ (of sorts), because these systems don't need to be fully open to every user on your network either.

- You should also ensure that each separate service (content access, search services, setup account, etc.) runs under
different usernames with very strong passwords (at least 9 characters, at least 1 upper case, 1 lower case, 1 number, 1
special character, no 1337 speak, no common words, random).

- Once your WFE is set up, you should also make sure that you have a good SSL cert on there.

- Also, you should make a small change to your web.config file on the WFE: in your system.web section, above the
membership provider, I put <httpCookies requireSSL="true" httpOnlyCookies="true" />
The httpCookies element supports the use of HttpOnly cookies. HttpOnly cookies (cookies with the HttpOnly attribute)
were introduced in Internet Explorer 6 to help mitigate the risk of cross-site scripting. The HttpOnly attribute
prevents cookies from being accessed through client-side script. Any information contained in an HttpOnly cookie is
less likely to be disclosed to a hacker or a malicious Web site. From here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.web.configuration.httpcookiessection.httponlycookies.aspx
While the "help.aspx XSS" vulnerability doesn't affect 2010, setting this may mitigate a future
attack....possibly...couldn't hurt.

While I know that this is a bit more than most organizations tend to do, it's just my two cents.

Also, for all Web Front Ends, make sure you are hardening your systems. NIST has some great guides, as does the NSA
(which I use). Links below.
NIST - Guidelines on securing public web servers -
http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-44-ver2/SP800-44v2.pdf
NSA - Database Configuration - http://www.nsa.gov/ia/guidance/security_configuration_guides/database_servers.shtml
NSA - Server 2003 Security Guides -
http://www.nsa.gov/applications/search/index.cfm?q=Microsoft%20Windows%20Server%202003 Almost all of the configuration
items here still hold for 2008.

Wow, that's a lot. If you need any help on this, let me know.