Security Basics mailing list archives

Firefox security test add-on was backdoored

From: Jacky Jack <jacksonsmth698 () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 15:40:56 +0800

Interesting Article:
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2010/07/15/firefox-security-test-add-on-was-backdoored.html

Firefox security test add-on was backdoored

A backdoor has been discovered among a collection of security testing
tools for Firefox.

The rogue Mozilla Sniffer add-on was included in the Web Application
Security Penetration Testing collection. This set of tools is popular
within the security community, as it simplifies the process of
discovering vulnerabilities in web applications.

However, using the Mozilla Sniffer add-on would have introduced an
unexpected vulnerability in any application being tested — whenever a
login form was submitted, the add-on secretly sent a copy of the URL,
password and other details to an IP address presumably controlled by
the malicious author.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1