Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: secure sharepoint 2010 design

From: "Boyd, Chad" <CBoyd () madden com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:20:32 +0000

I'm sorry, the list moderators for the security-basics list have failed to act on your post. Thus, I'm returning it
to you.
If you feel that this is in error, please repost the message or contact a list moderator directly.

---Alright, I'll do that. :)

A few of them are.

Network segmentation - In the event of a compromise, it's always good forethought to segment your network to limit
resources to only where they are needed. I consider this standard, regardless of the question.

Server separation - I know that on WSS3, if you had search services, database services and the WFE on the same system,
you would need some good hardware to handle it all. Perhaps that's better in 2010, I don't know. I do know that I have
only ever set everything up on a single system once. That was in my home lab for testing. There is also a security
aspect here, but I'd worry about network segmentation first. If you can get that, then by all means put your database
on another box.

If this is an internal only (Intranet) SharePoint deployment, I would still configure SSL. You can use a local CA for
this if it's not going to be exposed to the outside world, but I wouldn't communicate with any web service that relies
on username/passwords over HTTP. That goes double for my domain account (if you're using NTLM auth for this).

Setting the httponly in the web.config isn't that bit of a deal on an Intranet only system, but it can't hurt, and it
only takes a second to change.

Always harden your web servers. Heck, always harden all of your servers. The NSA guides I provided go over several
system scenario types and the best ways to secure them. There are sections for web servers, files servers, bastion
hosts, domain controllers, etc. Almost all of these configs can be done through a GPO.

...and lastly the accounts. If you go to the trouble to segment your network, wouldn't it make equal sense to segment
your accounts? Give them least privilege. No domain admin "just to get it working".

In all, there's not much that I provided that I wouldn't do on an internal-only system that I would do on an externally
facing one. Call me paranoid (I am the security guy for my company), but it's easier for me to trust someone out in the
WWW, then someone in my own network. At least I can filter out the stuff from the web.