Security Basics mailing list archives

virus got past mcafee viruscan 8.7

From: Anand Narine <anand.narine () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:49:25 -0400

Hi all
Our client workstations all have Mcafee antivirus installed, but a
virus infected on particular pc
and has been sending out spam by making outbound connections on port 25.
Mcafee viruscan 8.7 blocks programs from making outbound connections
on port 25 by
default so how did the virus get past ? I verified that the mcafee was
working since I could
not telnet to any mail server on the internet via port 25.