Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: virus got past mcafee viruscan 8.7

From: Anand Narine <anand.narine () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 06:13:30 -0400

Can anyone please recommend a good Host intrustion protection program
(HIPS) besides Mcafee's ?
That may be the way to go.

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

Edit a common virus payload into an executable a
little ways past the 100th byte and upload it to
http://www.virustotal.com/ See for yourself how many of the AV engines
detect it.
[Un]fortunately, I don't have any live payloads. However, running the
EICAR test vector [1] did produce somewhat disappointing results. When
the test string was placed at byte 64, only 5 scanners fired [2]. This
dropped to 4 scanners when moved to offset 1024.

I don't believe that extrapolating the results (to the 100th, 256th,
1024th byte...) is valid since EICAR specifies the first 68 bytes must
be payload. But I would also expect that a scanner catch it where ever
it is in an attempt to showcase their technology.

In the end, the OP should get the malware submitted for analysis.

Jeff

[1] http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
[2] http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/a5f9b85462298c92acf63db55cb29737