Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SMTP behind NAT

From: Laurens Vets <laurens () daemon be>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 18:58:13 +0200

Hey Georg,

I'm currently in a nat environment, where outbound connections to smtp and smtps are blocked by a firewall. You are therefore forced (unless using vpn or something alike) to send mail via a local smtp server. I was wondering whether there is any sense in blocking these connections. What does the administrator gain by forcing everybody to a local open smtp server? Can you avoid being put on some kind of blacklist by these means?

It's a measure to block unauthorized internal mailservers (think virus/trojan/bot infected internal machines) to send mails (think viru mails/spam :p) without going through the company authorized mailservers (who usually have av/antispam measures on it)

I would very much appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.

No problem :)

Laurens