Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SMTP behind NAT

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 12:13:32 +1000

If I force all mail through my smtp server, don't I just make their
problem my problem.

Well, the 'internal' smtp server shouldn't really be sending your mail for
you unless you are an authorized user on that mail server/mail domain-if I
understand exactly what you are asking. If it is allowing unauthorized users
to send any mail whatsoever then in my mind there is something wrong there;
it would basically be like an open relay.
If the smtp server is 'in charge' of mymail.com domain then why should it be
worried about anonymous.com email?
Do you have an email account that is valid on that internal server?
Perhaps you could ask the admins to setup an outgoing rule allowing access
to those specific smtp servers that you need access to.

Is there a 'free' ;-) wireless connection involved here?