Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: 802.1x Design Questions.

From: "Ken Kousky" <kkousky () ip3inc com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:48:50 -0400

TWO important points: First,  802.1x isn't a viable model if you don't have
authentication and PKI solutions available. Second, when we have complex
trust dependencies it's often hard to see the weakest link but we've argued
for years that certs are certainly easy to attack on most desktops today.

You have a verity of ways to manage your certs so it's often easiest to
remember a cert is just a structured container for a public key. The
question is how do you manage access to your public keys. The general PKI
model is to have them digitally signed by a "trusted" authority - this means
a public key (or cert) that is in the possession of the client and was
delivered out-0f-band. Your cert can then be downloaded whenever it's needed
and it's trusted because it's digitally signed. The digital signature relies
on the public key that is already present.

We recommend short lives on your certs which forces regular reviews and
updates.

Right now, most certs are managed in browsers and are extremely vulnerable
to exploits but I'm not aware of any such attacks. Why do something
complicated when there are much easier attacks.

Typically, the cert you use can be downloaded to ANY machine that can
authenticate it through a chain-of-trust which means the cert you distribute
is signed by the trusted authority we just mentioned.