Security Basics mailing list archives

SMTP behind NAT

From: Georg Pichler <georg.pichler () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:59:09 +0200

Hi Guys.

I'm currently in a nat environment, where outbound connections to smtp and
smtps are blocked by a firewall. You are therefore forced (unless using vpn or
something alike) to send mail via a local smtp server. I was wondering whether
there is any sense in blocking these connections.
What does the administrator gain by forcing everybody to a local open smtp
server? Can you avoid being put on some kind of blacklist by these means?

I would very much appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Georg Pichler