Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security vs. Simplicity

From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 17:55:31 -0400

That argument doesn't really hold up in the context of this
conversation.  A "simple" network from both an ops and security
perspective might have a single router with integrated firewall and
that's it.  No DMZ, no IDS etc.  Adding a DMZ, redundant routers,
multiple firewalls from different vendors, and IDS sensors etc. all of
a sudden makes your network much more complex, and much more secure
from a defense in depth perspective.  The defense in depth strategy
does not lessen security but rather puts more road blocks in the way
of an attacker.