Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security vs. Simplicity

From: aaa () bbb com
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:31:18 -0600

Dan:

I think you have only part of the idea.  Outward simplicity does not guarantee security, but outward security may
reflect a mature, well designed system, where the complexity is hidden.

Take a screen door and a solid core steel door with a deadbolt lock mounted on a secure steel door frame.  Both are
simple to lock and unlock, but only all of the prior design, engineering, manufacture and installation effort that is
unseen makes the steel door so very secure.

Same with 2 websites.  On surface they could look very similar, like a "registration" page.  But the secure one will
use an encrypted connection (ie https), will perform complex input validation at the server, and will encrypt before
storing personal information (so that data in motion and data at rest are both encrypted).

From the user point of view they are equally easy to use, but from an IT point of view one is a hack just waiting to
happen, the other is secure.

I think we are "on the same page" but I just wanted to make sure we are.