Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Network - What's the most secure Network/Server OS? - Is there a secure way to use Shares?

From: W W <crackd () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 21:15:48 -0500

1. Which Server Operating system should I install on my Server?
Go with the one you have the most experience and knowledge in
securing.  Looks offhand that you are more on the Windows side.  OS
security isn't about what product (althought i'm sure there will be a
lot of debate on that statement) so much as how you go about securing
it.  Use industry best practices to lock down the systems.  There are
many references out there (NIST, CIS, NSA, Microsoft, and tons of
linux sites).

2. To make the Network fast (e.g. Gigabit NICs on all computers & more
Servers etc.), as well as secure, what would I need to do?
The Network?  What part of the network?  What are your requirements
that you are trying to fulfill.  I've seen very few networks which
require gig nics in every single machine (although just about all new
machines come with them now).  Define secure?  What are you trying to
protect?

3. What is the best way to have 256-bit encryption of all traffic on
this network?
Again why do you need this?  Security isn't about encrypting
everything. Encryption has it's uses in specific parts of the network.
 A large part you are missing is monitoring.  If you encrypt
everything how are you going to monitor the network to understand what
is going on?  Taking a defense in depth approach you should be
securing your perimeter, locking down your end points, educate your
your uses, monitor your network, policies, policies, policies....the
list could go on forever.

4. Is it possible to have Shared folders, yet still attain a
high-level of security on this Network?
Yes.  Again how you set it up and who you give access to shared
folders and how is what matters.

5. Would it be possible to have Centralised Storage/Resources?
Yes. It's called a SAN, NAS, or DAS.

6. Could it be possible to have a Centralised User Account database,
for this entire network?
LDAP, Active Directory

Please try your best to answer those 6 questions.

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

PS: I was planning on making this into many little Messages on this
Mailing-list, however, I decided against it. If you think I should
make them into smaller messages (eg 1 of the 6 questions per message)
then please tell me.