Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: Securing a Network - What's the most secure Network/Server OS? - Is there a secure way to use Shares?

From: m.amit30 () gmail com
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 05:55:46 -0700

hi chip panarchy,
your questions,

1. Which Server Operating system should I install on my Server?
2. To make the Network fast (e.g. Gigabit NICs on all computers & more
Servers etc.), as well as secure, what would I need to do?
3. What is the best way to have 256-bit encryption of all traffic on
this network?
4. Is it possible to have Shared folders, yet still attain a
high-level of security on this Network?
5. Would it be possible to have Centralised Storage/Resources?
6. Could it be possible to have a Centralised User Account database,
for this entire network?

1.you can install any server os on your servers but according to your needs in 5th and 6th question for this you must
have to use multiuser operating system.
2.to make your network fast you can partition your network into different zones according to your needs.means by making
VLANs it provide good security.
3. you have to use AES-256 encryption for 256 bit encryption it provide a very high level security.Mainly government
agencies use this encryption instead of this you can use 3DES which is also very secure.generally speeking your
security depends on your key strength.
for your traffic encryption enable ipsec encryption. for a very high level security use ipsec with digital certificates
it protect your network from man in the middle attack..

digital signatures/certificates is only the possible way to give great security..  generally speeking before deploying
these things you must have to prepare your security+ in depth. because questions asked by you are complex in nature,
when you start to deploy things you may face very high level challenge..so do your security+ first.

Kind Regards,
amit malik