Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: The procedural aspects and work valorization of an IT Security Service, Advice needed

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:38:11 +1000

This sounds like a long term cultural change that you are trying to
initiate. It will be bolstered by having reports etc but also by simply
raising questions on what is important to the company, business-wise and
then possibly pointing out how much financial benefit the company will get
from improving their security posture.

This means you need to have the ear of management/ceo etc.

One of my first things I did at a company I worked at that had NO security
attitude at all, was to start sending out emails raising the awareness of
the needs for not replying to spam or not just opening random attachments.

Then I started to 'evangelise' about security and sent round news reports
about current problems. Also, educating people was helped by having
presentations for senior staff and others highlighting the problems we face
today(Free sweets and lollies help here). This became an ongoing thing and
slowly but surely the security stance changed.

Good on you for attempting the difficult...