Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Network - What's the most secure Network/Server OS? - Is there a secure way to use Shares?

From: Javier Reyna <jreyna () onlinet com mx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:29:29 -0600

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:13:30AM +1100, Chip Panarchy wrote:
############
# SECURITY #
############
- Encryption of all traffic (256-bit)
- Shares (if possible to have Shares and still maintain a secure network)
- Centralised secure storage of Data (Storage)
- Centralised secure storage of User accounts
- Unattended installation of (at the very least) the 500 Windows boxes
- Internet

1. Which Server Operating system should I install on my Server?

It depends what you want to do with that server, if you are looking just the must secure, well OpenBSD with the default
install.

2. To make the Network fast (e.g. Gigabit NICs on all computers & more
Servers etc.), as well as secure, what would I need to do?
3. What is the best way to have 256-bit encryption of all traffic on
this network?
IPSec in tranport mode.
4. Is it possible to have Shared folders, yet still attain a
high-level of security on this Network?

5. Would it be possible to have Centralised Storage/Resources?
6. Could it be possible to have a Centralised User Account database,
for this entire network?

Please try your best to answer those 6 questions.

Thanks in advance,

Chip D. Panarchy

PS: I was planning on making this into many little Messages on this
Mailing-list, however, I decided against it. If you think I should
make them into smaller messages (eg 1 of the 6 questions per message)
then please tell me.

--
Saludos!

Javier Reyna