Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Opportunistic TLS on mail servers

From: ad33lh () gmail com
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:31:47 -0600

Hello,

While any improvement you can make to security of your companies data is a good move you must be very careful how you
propose and present any "opportunistic" solution.

The main problem in this is that not all traffic will be encrypted (even if 95% is that still leaves 5% that is not).
This leads to a false sense of security on the part of the users, management and support staff.

Now you may argue that "we are doing this in the background without the end users knowing" - Great, that’s how it
should be done. But, that doesn't mean that word is not going to get out and people won't rely on what is essentially
an unreliable solution.

Let me use an example.  To make the changes you will need management approval and support staff collaboration
(assumptions I know but reasonably safe ones).  So now the management is in discussions with internal groups, external
clients or prospective customers and is asked if his company secures the data.  "Oh, yes," the manager says, "we
encrypt our email."  The third party is happy and does business with your company only to have emails intercepted and
disclosed proving to be very embarrassing and damaging.  They then proceed with legal action as your "product" was
represented as a secure and encrypted solution when it wasn't.

As far as the end user goes the answer to "is my email safe" should always be an absolute and no is the safer absolute.
 Even in instances where secure TLS connections are established between companies the end user should still be told
that their emails are not secure.  This way they do not think the security between you and organization X extends to
their friends and family.

The assumption of security your solution may create could be more damaging to the company than not encrypting anything.

Adeel