Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Opportunistic TLS on mail servers

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 04:18:28 -0430

On Jueves 19 Marzo 2009 20:53:20 usted escribió:
I think that you may be missing the point. It is not meant to be a
replacement for forced encryption but rather an extra layer of protection
for mail that would otherwise be flowing in plain text.

well, looks like WEP.

But you have a valid point for me, I agree with use "something" before
"nothing".

There is no need
for a man-in-the-middle when you are sending you mail in plain text. This
is just another method of protecting information that would otherwise be
flowing unprotected anyway. It provides the company yet another
"reasonable" protection for otherwise trust-and-forget laziness.

Many (if not most) companies are using email in the clear. If you can
convince the larger companies that you send the most email to to use
opportunistic TLS then you help to mitigate the mail that is not flowing
through your "lets-trust-the-end-user-to-make-the-right-choice" protection
that is no where near 100%.

Not a total solution. Just another layer.

There is not a reasonable total solution because you will need to mitigate not
only the plain-text issue, you need also to mitigate keyloggers (both hardware
and software), trojans, rootkits, mitm attacks, human mistakes, etc.

Everything depends in what is the price of the information traveling in this
mails. Sometimes are "Hi mr john, our meet will be at 5pm", and sometimes are
industrial and financial secrets.

steve