Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to secure pendrive ?

From: Morgan Reed <morgan.s.reed () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:25:36 +1100

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:27 PM, J.Bakshi <j.bakshi () icmail net> wrote:
I like to make two 4GB partitons, one for puppy linux and one as left to use
as pendrive. But I like to encrypt the partition having puppy so that it is
even not possible to access that partition even from Linux. It should ask
password before accessing that partition. Could any one give me a direction
to achieve this ?

Look into LUKS/cryptosetup <http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/>,
it's the Linux kernel's implementation of volume encryption.

One caveat though, your bootloader is going to have to be in the clear
regardless of anything else, so you'll need to create a small /boot
partition for puppy then a larger partition for / and then use the
rest as you wish.

Note to self: Reply all...