Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Third party remote management

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:09:57 -0430

On Martes 11 Agosto 2009 09:53:51 W W escribió:
Our helpdesk is looking at some third party remote management tools
like Gotomypc and Logmein to remotely manage our road warriors.  What
are some of the best practices for using these services?  My initial
thought is to not allow these services as your network credentials are
being passed through their infrastructure (ie when you log into a
remote users laptop with your network admin creds) with no oversight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Well, depends on your requirements of security. When you put your email in
google, you are trusting in google. When you use something like logmein, you
are doing the same with logmein.

Our thoughts: These companies won't sell our soul, because they don't want to
loss clients and money.

----

I didn't tested the tool in fact. I only read about it, and a particular
document is very interesting to understand the situation:

https://secure.logmein.com/documentation/Security/wp_lmi_security.pdf

The communication seems to have a "re-encryption point", in this point, the
admin of (you name it), have the capability to intercept the communication,
and depending of the nested protocol, the admin will see everything passing
through (you name it).

Assuming that you put your trust on logmein, the security model seems to be
valid and secure. Some else about cryptography algorithms, SSL version,
Signatures and more, need to be known.

----

If you don't trust your infrastructure in other hands, you have two options:

1.- You can use something like securID to protect the access to your
infrastructure. Two factor authentication will not protect the information
traveling across the remote access company (logmein/whatever), but, with a
good security policy, it can prevent some troubles on unauthorized access if
your pc password is stolen.

*some points about security:

- You are required to limit 1 token to 1 user
- Only 1 login of 1 user each 1 token period.

*some flaws:

- data sent are prone to be intercepted.

2.- (VNC)/(Remote Desktop) + VPN + 1 public ip address: I think that is the
best strategy if you don't trust on third party companies. One VPN at border
will secure the connection to the internal network.

You have to be careful about:

- Certificates.
- Cryptography used
- keys
- Firewall rules for the VPN

Thanks

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and
how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to
test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache
web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help
you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f72

--
Regards.