Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: IIS 6 exploited

From: Aarón Mizrachi <unmanarc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:31:17 -0430

On Martes 11 Agosto 2009 11:20:27 asai ajith escribió:
Hi,

One of our web server IIS 6 has been exploited, C:/inetpub/www/cats.txt was
modified.

In order to know how was happened, you need to examine your:

- Logs.
- Folder permissions
- Scripts running on server (ASP/ASP.NET/PHP/JSP/CGI/whatever...)
- System policy (update policy, password policy, ...)
- Processes Running
- Time/Owner/... of cats.txt
- Other useful information.

My first recommendation that how to start.

1. DON'T DELETE THE FILE. Most people delete the file and destroy the evidence.
2. Create a HardDrive Image. I suggest you to use something like helix with
dcfldd with an external hard drive.

but, my personal recommendation: call an expert to do it. Some things could
fail and destroy/damage the evidence and your site itself.

----------
Why a forensic study are required?

I'm not implying that a forensic study means a police prosecution to the
attacker. Maybe you don't want to. A forensic study could determine how the
attack was possible, and maybe even: who.

I would like to know how this is possible and what are corrective measures,
thanks.

After the forensic image of the hard drive to determine how it happened...

I suggest you:

1. Microsoft Updates.
2. Review the security policies at NTFS (enforce the permissions)
3. Review the security policies at IIS (CGI Folders, memory protections, ...)
4. Review the security policies at your scripting engine
5. Update any internal software (by example: asp websites).
6. Review the security policies at your OS
7. Firewall Review
8. ?

Regards,
Asai

      Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet
Explorer 8. http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL
certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how it benefits your company and
how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to
test, purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache
web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are highlighted to help
you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f72

--
Ing. Aaron G. Mizrachi P.