Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Am I still vulnerable to attack?

From: "mgk.mailing" <mgk.mailing () googlemail com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 10:30:24 +0000

Hi Craig

You didn't mention anything about a firewall. Do you have one? is it administered by yourself or someone offsite? I'm assuming the proxy is being used outbound for webfiltering and such? but you don't mention anything about inbound traffic. The short answer is that yes you will always be vulnerable but you can reduce the risks :) (the biggest being from kids in your school). /mgk (an ex school pupil who liked using the admin's account before taking up a job at an educational facility (for my sins))

ps have you considered downloading a copy of backtrack or similar and running some tests against your network?

cdunn () foxwood notts sch uk wrote:
Hi,

I work in a school in nottingham, UK we access the internet via the EMBC who inter-connect all schools and colleges to
the internet. The EMBC manage our site blocking and spam filters for E-Mail. The proxy we use to access the net is
heavily filtered and all un-used ports are closed, making an attack as far as I can see VERY difficult.

My question is just how vulnerable is our school network? is there still potential there for an attack to take place?
or would this be so difficult and the rewards to few for an attacker to bother?

Thanks

Craig Dunn