Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Am I still vulnerable to attack?

From: "Christian Campbell" <ccampbell () brueggers com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:08:19 -0500

I work in a school in nottingham, UK we access the internet via the
EMBC who inter-connect all schools and colleges to the internet. The
EMBC manage our site blocking and spam filters for E-Mail. The proxy we
use to access the net is heavily filtered and all un-used ports are
closed, making an attack as far as I can see VERY difficult.

My question is just how vulnerable is our school network? is there
still potential there for an attack to take place?

Even if the EMBC did a first rate job of securing the school networks from
the internet, you have to think about attacks coming from other school
networks behind the EMBC curtain.  Also, you're more apt to get attacks from
hosts on your own network.  I'd say, yes, there is potential.

Christian