Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security markers

From: fac51 <fac51 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 01:16:56 -0800 (PST)

I am currently putting together the same thing.

The reasons for this are that there are a few key areas of operations (mainly) that need extra resource to provide the
security that we need as a company; Nothing more than regular careful administration.
So I have made a list of metrics as follows;
        Patches applied within 10days %
        Patches applied within 1 month %
        Anti virus clients up to date %
        Unauthorized changes to borders
I've included a few more one liners on other stuff that we have as an issue. Once you have these figures you will need
to show which metrics are bad, I've chosen the usual traffic light system.
I've run a few of the admin tools on those systems to output the data to a spreadsheet and then plan to make a couple
of pie charts, etc.

I'll then send this as a monthly or quarterly report to all the senior IS staff.

This way those small issues will at least have some visibility instead of me having to remind everyone how important
certain tasks are this report will highlight the issues in the correct way. If the business wants to invest more time
and effort to improve the metrics, great. If not, at least everyone is informed and knows the risks.

Make sure that the metrics will highlight the most important areas from within your strategy or areas that you know
need improvement.(or both)

Hope this helps,
Cheers,