Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: What about Kaspersky AV?

From: "Bob Dienhart" <rdienhart () alt-tab cc>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:57:45 -0500

It's my understanding, based on a late 2007 PCMagazine review of several AV
products, that Norton 360 is CLASSIC Bloatware 'cuz it has a footprint
exceeding 100MB.  Small is beautiful - Norton/Symantec's never small.

But I did recommend Norton Internet Security to a friend (single machine,
simple user) based on the same magazine review.  It presented a more modest
footprint than was typical for Norton.  And I needed something that was
complete, including a bi-directional host based firewall that wouldn't nag
the user with undecipherable popups when something bad tried to "phone
Home."

According to the review, this product's firewall was capable of intelligent
self tuning.  Will it provide perfect protection?  Nope.  None will.  But it
should be good enough and will not leave the user to decide what to do when
'abslamggtc.dll' (fictitious name) appears in a popup warning the user that
some 'new' program is trying to get to the Internet.

We'll see what happens over time.  My AV of choice for the past couple of
years has been NOD32.  I didn't choose Eset's ESS because it did not fare as
well as the Norton product and the default firewall install configuration
did no more than XP's own firewall did - inbound protection only.

Bob