Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What about Kaspersky AV?

From: "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 19:58:04 +0000

jdm wrote:
I wanted to throw in my 2 cents regarding Sophos. When we used Sophos, we had nothing but problems. We migrated from McAfee, and the migration did not go well. Sophos' product wasn't really mature enough IMHO, there were numerous problems getting clients to talk to the enterprise console, and problems configuring the console and library to work together. This was exacerbated by new Sophos releases (uninstalls were not always successful) and our telecommuting environment.

Long story short, I would not recommend Sophos for a large environment. Our console servers were heavily burdened and crashed, once irrecoverably, many times. We also fought the same virus infection three different times due to a 'bug' in the detection engine for that virus (Nyxem). I will say that Sophos' support is excellent, and to take everything I've said with a large grain of salt since our environment wasn't the most well engineered.

I hear Sunbelt Software has a new product out, might be worth a look.

How long ago was it you used Sophos? They have matured greatly in the
past 5 years. I have one customer with thousands of users, about half
roaming users with laptops, and they have essentially zero issues.

I have one user that supports a few hundred users with a console server
running on a 10+ year old P3 box. And it gives great response.

Jon
--
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer