Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: CISCO Catalyst

From: "Aaron T. Rohyans" <arohyans () idc-usa com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:05:42 -0500

To create a user:

Router> enable
Router# conf t
Router(config)# username MYUSER password MYPASSWORD (optionally specify
privilege level)

To log commands issued, you need a TACACS+ or RADIUS server and need to
enable aaa accounting:

Router(config)# aaa new-model
Router(config)# aaa accounting commands 0 MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# aaa accounting commands 15 MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# aaa accounting exec MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# aaa accounting config-commands MYACCTLIST (you may not
have this option)
Router(config)# line vty 0 15
Router(config)# accounting commands 0 MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# accounting commands 15 MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# accounting exec MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# accounting config-commands MYACCTLIST
Router(config)# radius-server host 123.123.123.123 key RADIUSPASSWORD

To specify password options:

Router(config)# security authentication failure rate 3
Router(config)# security password min-length 8

Keep in mind, based on your IOS level, you may or may not have the same
commands/syntax that I do.  Just issue a '?' if you get stuck and use
the context-sensitive help.

Hope this helps!

Aaron T. Rohyans
IT Coordinator