Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Password communication

From: "Petter Bruland" <pbruland () fcglv com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 11:58:08 -0800

How big of a company are we talking about here?

Last time we had to have people change passwords outside the regular 90 days change, we divided the org into a few
smaller groups, and walked around. Now we're only 188 here, so that's not hard, but if we're talking several sites and
hundreds of employees, I don't see anything negative about using the phone.

Also the "Change password after login" isn't going to help this situation, as if the wrong person gets the temp
password, he/she will just change that to something else upon login.

Wish we had the $$ for RSA or some two factor authentication, as that seems easier on the end users, rather than trying
to explain why their password can't be "MONDAY" etc

-Petter