Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Former Employee Email - Exchange

From: "Evert Breero" <Evert.Breero () aapt com au>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:44:26 +1100

Hi,

I know the dilemma that you face.

In our organisation, when an employee leaves, the user's LAN and Email
account is automatically disabled once the account is terminated within
the HR system.
This great as you don't have to worry about disabling the account
manually, however the problem comes in when you need to gain access to
past emails for Management or staff taking over, as once the LAN account
becomes active again, then Metadirectory which sits between SAP and AD,
will again automatically disable the account.
In these case, staff approach my department, and we will gain access to
the mailbox, extract business related info, create a PST, and hand this
over to the requestor.
With the mailbox, as this is disabled, whenever a email is sent to it,
it will display a message stating the mailbox is unavailable.  In most
cases, we don't take any action on the disabled mailbox unless
requested.  However, after the account is disabled for a period of 45
days, the emails are archived, the account is removed from AD.
Should the email ever be needed with regards to a court case, it can be
retrieved from the archives, and restored for the requestor.

Hope this helps.