Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: recommendations for centrally managed corporate antivirus solution

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:57:07 +1000

NOD32 is easy to manage but can be a headache to setup initially. However,
the settings and configurations that you can roll out are quite granular;
one for laptops, one for workstations, one for production, developers etc
etc.

They update every day which is good and also it is fast and does not have
the Godzilla type footprint that I came to associate with the big yellow
company. No 100% cpu usage and even scans run pretty fast.
Weekly/monthly/daily scans are also highly configurable with command line
type options.

The management console is getting more and more intuitive. I'm running it on
a W2003 box. You can roll out remotely from the console which is easy. I can
get alerts and check the logs/alert screens for any missing updates or
outbreaks. Easy. I don't find myself worrying or fretting(much) now that
it's been setup.

Now, there is no firewall bundled with it which may be a drawback for you.
The only thing that is not as good as Symantec is support but having said
that, I've hardly had to contact their support since I set it up.

I am very, very glad I dumped big yellow and so are my users whose machines
have spare cycles that aren't being chewed by the AV.

Does it catch everything? I doubt it but then I haven't seen a signature
based solution that does and I imagine this may be a pipe dream.