Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: recommendations for centrally managed corporate antivirus solution

From: "Josh Haft" <pacmansyu () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:34:10 -0600

On 14 Feb 2008 15:38:41 -0000,  <illuminaeti () gmail com> wrote:
Hi list

 On the different networks I manage, I've been using Symantec corporate since version 7. I've never had any major
issues with it until now.

 Version 11, now called "Symantec endpoint Protection" requires IIS and either MS SQL or the symantec embedded
database. I installed a copy on a test server and it just about crippled it. Network access from clients was
incredibly slow and processor use was hitting %100. I've heard the same comments from a collegue who installed it on
a new server at the customer's request. The file server was virtually unusable even before the client was installed
on the workstation. Also the new GUI is just plain awful.

  I don't have the time or resources to tweak settings to get better performance out of the AV.

  I've heard good things about NOD32, Sophos and Kaspersky.  I've started looking around and of course, every website
I visit tells me the software they sell is the best in the universe.

 So, looking for real answers from real users, I thought I'd ask you all about your experience, positive or negative,
with various corporate antivirus software.

 Thanks in advance.

I've used Trend Micro OfficeScan in two installations, both with
150-200 users. The management interface (does require IIS) is capable
and useful, and the client software runs with a very low footprint.
Overall I have been very satisfied with it.