Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: Steve Olive <steve () bathurstcomputers com au>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:33:25 +1000

On 2007-09-01 gjgowey () tmo blackberry net wrote:
A since pass with all zero's really won't protect your data from being
recovered by more advanced data recovery software let alone alone
hardware.

I'd like to see a single case where someone was able to recover data
from an overwritten harddisk, even after a single pass with zeroes.

Multiple passes isn't much better, but if that's all you got...

You would be better off looking at better utilities if you really need
to keep the data from being recovered.

Nonsense. If you're worried about the zeroes just replace /dev/zero with
/dev/urandom. Your "better utilites" don't work any different from that.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers

Hi,

I'd say it is very possible, otherwise organisations would not be offering
these services, with "No Fix, No Fee Policies", at confirmed prices. There
are a number of testimonials from existing customers:

http://www.payam.com.au/hard-disk-data-recovery.htm

If this is possible in Australia, I'm sure that the rest of the world has
access to similar organisations ;-)

Note: I'm not in any way associated with this business, other than
recommending people contact them directly if they need data recovery
services.

--
Regards,

Steve
Bathurst Computer Solutions
e-mail: steve () bathurstcomputers com au
Mobile: 0407 224 251
.... _
... (0)>
... / / \