Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP address with yahoo messenger

From: "Colin Copley" <colin.75 () btinternet com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 19:13:25 +0100

-->I have ensured absence of any keylogger/ Spyware in my PC.

Rootkits? Unknown or slightly customized keyloggers?

Now what can you suggest to carry out my research in proper direction so
that I can Find answers to both of my questions in the earlier post?

I would suggest imaging your drive, back up your docs, emails etc, format
and reinstall from scratch, fully patch etc.
(The image can be used for analysis if he suddenly loses his magic IP touch)
Then contact him and see if he can still get your IP address, you can then
be fairly certain he either has admin access on your router, or is indeed
using a yahoo messenger related tool.

It sounds a bit drastic I know, and there's other, less time consuming tasks
you could do first; like check where you got your yahoo client from,
reinstall the latest version, and check your router is properly configured
for NAT, maybe update the firmware etc. But, without first ruling out a
compromised machine even if you do discover a trick you can't be sure that's
what he used.

Best Regards
Colin