Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP address with yahoo messenger

From: Alcides <alcides.hercules () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:27:09 +0530

Thanks Jeff.

Let me give you a slight insight of a real scenario.
I don't know how it was done. But I have witnessed that someone from other end in Yahoo chat has told my internal IP to me -more than once.

-->I'm sure that person is geographically separated at least 1000Miles.
-->I never told my internal IP to anybody by any means.
-->I have ensured that I changed my private IP every time it was reported to me in chat session.
-->No file transfer/ voice/ video was involved.
-->I have ensured absence of any keylogger/ Spyware in my PC.
-->Every time, Yahoo messenger was the only channel, with which I was communicating with world.

Is it some kind of messenger related tool? Or some packet analysis utility or something else? I tried googling around a lot but couldn't much except file transfer related trick. But that couldn't help at all.

Now what can you suggest to carry out my research in proper direction so that I can Find answers to both of my questions in the earlier post?

Regards.