Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Private IP address with yahoo messenger

From: Jeff MacDonald <jam () zoidtechnologies com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 02:35:41 -0400

On Tuesday 22 May 2007 11:21 pm, Alcides wrote:
Hi list,
I was wondering to have any clue on this.
While having a chat session with somebody in yahoo messenger, how is
it possible to obtain his/her Private IP address if that person is
behind a Router and/or a Firewall (NATed)?

not without the person giving it to you.. i.e. I know of no way to obtain that
information without getting it directly from the user.

Moreover,
Is there any way that he/she can hide successfully (behind the NAT or
something else)so that NO internal IP address is revealed?

as far as I know, that is already the case-- as a user you have no way of
getting ip address information, especially the private side.

of course it prolly depends on the protocol and the implementer of the
service.

Thanks.
Warm regards.

hope that helps a little