Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Traffic To dark address space

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:04:35 -0700

  I've been observing something since at least January that might
relate to this, and I've got some speculation about the junk
malware that's probably behind it.

  Traffic consists of groups of (usually) three SYN packets to an
address, frequently noticed because it's unpopulated, and bizarre
destination port number.  What I notice is that I often see such
inbounds from 1-3 additional sources within 24 hours for the same
destination address *and port number*.

  My theory, then, is that there's some bit of "junk malware" out
there that is randomly generating targets for itself.  ONE of the
issues the author hasn't grasped is how PNG (Pseudo-random Number
Generator) algorithms work, so every time it generates destination
address X, the code consistently generates destination port number
Y, so every instance of infection that attempts to infect X does
so via port Y.  Of course the odds that Y will be a listening
vulnerable port should be very very small, so this thing is spreading
only VERY slowly.

David Gillett